How To Tell When Your Home Needs Rewiring

Getting your home rewired might not be top of the fun things to do in life.

But it is, nonetheless, something that you should consider doing.

If you have been in the same house for a long time, then at some point, it should really be rewired.

Did you know that there are nearly 26000 electrical fires in the United States, each year?

Of these, it’s estimated to cause 280 fatalities and a staggering 1,125 personal injuries.

So when should you get your home rewired?

IT IS OVER FORTY YEARS OLD

If the property is over forty years old and has never had a rewire, then it should probably be rewired.

THE LIGHTS FLICKER

Flickering lights are a major sign that all is not well with your home electrics.

If screwing the bulb in properly isn’t the cause of the problem, then it could be that your home needs an emergency rewire.

THE FIXTURES ARE LOOSE

Loose units such as plug outlets and light switches should be tackled by a qualified professional – not an enthusiastic amateur equipped with a screw driver and little else.

THERE IS ALUMINUM WIRING

Aluminum is more likely to cause overheating in appliances and is therefore considered a safety hazard.

You can check if your wiring has aluminum in it, as it will be marked AL on the jacket.

But if you are unsure, contact an electrician.

FUSES ARE ALWAYS BLOWING

If you are frequently experiencing fuses shorting out and circuits breaking, then the chances are that your system is not able to deal with the load it is bearing.

When the circuits are constantly blowing, then it’s time to contact the pros.

BULBS ARE ALWAYS BLOWING

Likewise, if your bulbs are always blowing, then this means your circuitry is struggling to cope with the demands you are placing on it.

Call an electrician swiftly, if this keeps happening.

HOT CORDS OR PLUG

Any heat in the cords, plug or appliance is a potential warning sign and should not be ignored.

YOU HAVE A LOT OF EXTENSION CABLES

If you are needing to use a lot of extension cord, then it might be time to look at the reason why.

It is possible your power outlets are no longer adequate for your needs and should be updated.

THE OUTLETS ARE DISCOLORED

If any of your electrical outlets are discolored it might be down to a loose connection. This should be taken seriously and an electrician called immediately.

THERE’S A BURNING SMELL

Any burning smells from appliances or cords should be immediately acted upon – and the electricity switched off promptly.

Your next act is to call an emergency electrician.

YOU HAVE RECEIVED AN ELECTRICAL SHOCK

Top of the list of bad things is actually getting an electrical shock off an appliance.

This is rarely the appliances fault and nearly always a problem with the outlet or wiring.

If you are shocked by an appliance in your home, you should definitely contact a qualified electrician.

This entry was posted in Best Construction, Vacancy. Bookmark the permalink.